Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15


 photo about_zps0e27a4da.jpg
 photo bookshelf_zpse9642860.jpg photo scribbles_zps2889a376.jpg

Monday, September 9, 2013

19th Century Remedies for 19th Century Headaches

Getting bit by the writing bug after 3+ months of lackadaisical pretending is a lot harder than it sounds.

I'm having issues with one-dimensional characters who give me the silent treatment because they're a. not the only hero in the book or b. tired of crying all the time. I am to be reminded often and sternly that my heroine does actually have some dignity that I haven't given her myself. (Well, if I didn't give it to her then where did she get it?)

*sigh*

It seemed, as Mr. Bennett says, "a hopeless business" until several things came to my rescue in the nick of time.

Here are my new and improved {and completely indispensable} writing buddies PLUS a sneak peek at the headquarters of my writing life. =)

#1 - Tea Tray
Vastly superior to the single cup, the tea tray eliminates the need to break up inspiration {if such inspiration exists}
 by running upstairs for numerous and time-consuming refills. Plus, it's very cozy and convenient to have such a large quantity nearby. Especially if it's Republic of Tea's Ginger-Peach tea.


 #2 - Period Dramas
Nothing helps stimulate 19th century inspiration like 19th century chick flicks!


#3 - Anne of Green Gables soundtrack

In case Cranford proves too distracting...=)


#4 - Candles
My absolute favorite candle: White Barn French Baguette. It smells DIVINE. 


 #5 - Headquarters!
 By splitting screens, I can watch Cranford on one side and write on the other. Ingenious arrangement to distract myself from bickering characters and tangled plot-lines.

But it helps.

Especially at 1 or 2 in the morning.

Till next time!
Photobucket

9 comments:

  1. Ooo, Ginger Peach tea is really good. That's so nice that you have a designated area to work on writing! I sometimes watch something when I write too, and Becca can't understand how I can pay attention to both things :)

    Mmm, your candle sounds good too.

    -Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I forgot to ask, how are you liking Third Girl? I just read it recently, and it had a really interesting conclusion.

    -Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've had it? Then you understand my addiction! =D Yes, I have my desk and my bed but the wifi signal is weak up on the top bunk so if I want to watch period dramas I have to do it somewhere else!
    Yeah, sometimes it's a huge distraction but other times it's just the stimulation I need to keep going.
    Third Girl? Well...I'm only about 1/3rd of the way through but there have been some interesting plot twists that make me want to keep going. However, I'm not thinking it's as good as some of her others. Have you read "The Secret Adversary"? That's my favorite so far! =D
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love the Secret Adversary! I think its my favorite too. Tommy and Tuppence are so cute! They have another book, when they're married called Partners in Crime. It's actually more of a collection of short stories, but its still a good read.
      -Bethany

      Delete
    2. Really?? I must look this up on PaperbackSwap and see if I can get a copy! I have another book with them called "N or M?" but I haven't quite gotten to it yet. =)

      Delete
    3. That one is good too, but its when they are older, like middle aged I think :)
      So, if you get Partners in Crime, you should read that one before N or M. And I think there's even another one with them too, but I don't remember the name, and I haven't read it yet either.
      -Bethany

      Delete
    4. I will take you up on your advice! Thanks! =D

      Delete
  4. I love your methods! They sound so cozy! I especially love your tea tray. I might have to commandeer that idea someday. (Ginger peach tea sounds so yummy.)
    Period dramas do sound like a nice cure to misbehaving characters. I have done that one before myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a lover of all things cozy. I dare my characters to defy these weapons I bring against them. =D

      Delete