Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15


 photo about_zps0e27a4da.jpg
 photo bookshelf_zpse9642860.jpg photo scribbles_zps2889a376.jpg

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Box Tops for Education and Other Guilt Trips

Is there anything in the world more deserving of mixed emotions than Box Tops for Education?

I know it's a great program (not firsthand since they don't give money to homeschoolers) and I'm sure lots of good schools have benefited from the 10 cent contribution they get for each pink and blue rectangle sent in, but I get a sinking feeling every time I pick up a box (or bag or can) and see it staring me in the face.

My inner gripe immediately throws a fit: "What have you done?? Don't you know you have to cut that out??"

 It screams because it knows I will.

I have to.

Heaven forbid that a school be deprived of 10 worthy cents because I'm too lazy to walk across the kitchen for the scissors.

And of course I must use scissors.

Those infernal things must be carefully snipped along the dotted line because if I try any other means of detaching them from their packaging they rip down the middle and not only do I have to go for the scissors anyway, I must get the tape as well.

And they're unavoidable. Box Tops for Education is taking over the grocery industry like blowing up New York has taken over the movie industry. They're on everything. Tissue boxes, biscuit cans, Chex mix, soup. I remember watching my mom cut those labels off a Campbell's tomato soup can with a knife.

The biscuit cans were a brilliant idea. Not only are they cylindrical (making it impossible to get a pair of scissors inside) they're made out of thick, foil-lined cardboard that cuts like plate glass.

And the tissue boxes? So convenient for everyone who has a scissors sitting around in the...umm...bathroom. Yeah...Because that's where I keep mine. And nail scissors don't count. They aren't strong enough to go through cardboard.

All this for the satisfaction and pride of pitching it on the pile in the desk drawer and forgetting to take it anywhere to do anyone any good.

Yet I still feel a twinge of guilt when I chuck one into the trash.

Why do I do this to myself??

It's the same feeling I get when I return a cd without listening to the entire thing even though I didn't care for it in the first place.

When I force myself to finish a book I'm not enjoying just because I'll feel like a quitter if I don't.

 When I pour out bottled water because it's so much more nutritious than what comes from the tap.

When I use a tissue for only one blow.

When I print off a sheaf of papers in error and don't shove them in the scrap drawer.

When I throw away a piece of candy instead of forcing myself to finish it.

When I discard the slivers of soap in the shower that might have sudsed one more washcloth.

There are things in life, I think, that one must learn to let go.

But then there's this...

What persuasive argumentation...

*sigh*

I'll go get my scissors.

Till next time!

 photo libs_zpsb7e0579b.png

8 comments:

  1. :) you're funny. I guess I've never thought about those box tops since I am homeschooled too. And I don't feel guilty :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, very cute post. But like Keturah, I've never thought about them either :)

    Here's a question for you. How did you set up the "currently reading" gadget along the side of your blog?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go to layout on the options in the dashboard (or wherever the settings are for your blog) and then go to "add a gadget" and in that menu I find "image". Then you just have to put your picture in, add a title (if you want) and then I like to include the link so if you click on the book image you'll go to a website where you can find out about it and then save! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I was thinking that might be the way you do it, but I thought I should ask. It's a fun idea, would you mind if Becca and I borrow it? :)

      Delete
  3. Not at all! Go right ahead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are not alone. You are so very much not alone, in any of it. I have the same feelings of guilt for nearly all of those things, especially the book and clippings. It pains me to return a book I am not enjoying before I've finished it. It is kind of the same feeling as pulling my own teeth, and the librarians show no sympathy for my apparent agony. (I should say some don't. Others seem to KNOW I've not finished the book and sit behind their desks and throw me reprimanding looks until I feel so guilty I almost pick the book back up to take home and finish.) Such is life, I guess. Full of things to make us feel gulty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Oh the agonies of the overwrought sense of duty! :)

      Delete