Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15


 photo about_zps0e27a4da.jpg
 photo bookshelf_zpse9642860.jpg photo scribbles_zps2889a376.jpg

Thursday, December 5, 2013

NaNo Spoilers!

Well, I got 15,000 words. I'd throw confetti, but it's been more than a week since I actually finished and I'd have to vacuum it up, so I'll just have a little celebration here to share with you:

Yeehaw!

There. We can finally move on with our lives. You can finish reading this post, I can plan my next one, and we can pick up where we left off as if I haven't missed a whole entire month of posting {please?}.

So...

I always feel awkward sharing excerpts of my NaNo success because I feel that, out of context, what I'd share would be horribly out of context.

And I don't know why my computer keeps freezing up mid-sentence, but it's really weird to type away madly and then have all the words tumble out onto the page a few seconds later.

What were we talking about?

My tea is gone.

:{

Without further ado, and despite the fact that you will have to take the following with a shaker of salt, here are a few samples of my NaNo endeavors to prove that I did not take a month off of posting because I was completely lacking in inspiration, circumstances and topics to gab about.

On to my title-less novel!

To my chagrin, the Morrells were not waiting for me, which meant that after he had instructed the driver in the proper transferal of my trunks from the carriage to the depot, Edwin found a seat for me near the office and proceeded to keep me company as we waited. I promptly annoyed him by fretting that they would miss the train.
“They’re Americans, Jocelyn,” he reminded me impatiently. “Did you expect them to be prompt?”
I tightened my hold on my handbag. “That’s an awfully rude thing to say about your own cousins,” I observed, craning my neck to look down the road.
“Only in the eyes of the law,” Edwin said darkly. “Thankfully we’re spared the social connections out of pity for our unfortunate association.”
I rolled my eyes. Edwin, who had been pacing two steps in one direction and two steps back, turned suddenly on his heel and commandeered my attention. “There’s still time to change your mind, Jocelyn,” he said. “Do give this mad plan another thought before you rush headlong into it.”

“I’m quite decided, thank you,” I returned, primly. “Would you mind standing to the side? You’re obstructing my view of the road.” 



The bell above the door of Mr. Pembrook’s offices jangled its announcement of our arrival as Nathanael, Sallie and I fit ourselves into the small waiting space. It rang again as Nathanael realized that the short train of Sallie’s skirt had not quite made a complete entrance with her and applied himself to the rescue with matter-of-fact good breeding.
Mr. Pembrook, looking much older than when I had last laid eyes on him, came out to greet us.
“Lady Jocelyn,” he said, shaking his head with a smile as he recognized me. “My, what a lovely young woman has grown out of the girl who used to come with her grandfather to eat my peppermints.”
I laughed, remembering how he’d always had a paper sack of the candies for me on those long visits.
“Mr. Pembrook, it’s so lovely to see you again.” I held out my hand and he shook it warmly.
  “And who have you brought with you today?” he asked, looking beyond me to Sallie and Nathanael.
I introduced my friends and he invited us into his office. We ranged around his desk and I told him our business.
“A copy of your grandfather’s will?” he repeated, mildly surprised.
“Yes, I–” I caught myself, realizing that I hadn’t thought of an excuse as to under what circumstances I would need such a thing. “I would like to look into some legal matters.”
If that wouldn’t raise his suspicion I didn’t know what would. Now that I thought of it, there wasn’t a very logical reason why I would ever need to look at the will.



I gave up trying to suppress my feelings and turned to look out the window as the London I knew faded and slowly turned into a nondescript and tumbledown imitation of architecture. I stared at the wreck and ruin, wondering how human beings could be allowed to live in such quarters, and tried to imagine my brother growing up on these streets. Surely he wasn’t like the ragged little urchins who turned to watch us go by, wiping their running noses on dirty sleeves or the huddled figures hunched against the smoke-blackened walls of a burned out tenement. I realized now what Nathanael had meant when he told me not to get my hopes too high. If this was where Will was raised, he would probably view me as an insult to–
Outside, the driver gave a sudden shout and the carriage swerved to the right, spilling us all to the side. I caught at the bar and righted myself in time to see a ragtag boy leap nimbly out of the horses’ path, laughing in a devil-may-care fashion and tossing his head to whip the shaggy, matted hair out of his eyes.
I turned to Nathanael, wide-eyed. “Is that some sort of game?” I asked. “He did it on purpose!”
Nathanael scanned the roadway and shrugged. “It might be best not to look out the window,” he said, reaching over and drawing the shade. “They don’t take well to strangers – especially our kind of strangers.”
I settled back in the muted darkness and contented myself in counting the dips and bumps in the road as we moved closer and closer to the river. I didn’t have a very keen sense of geography, but not even the seals on the doors could shut out the smell of rotting fish and refuse that lapped against the banks of the Thames. I was contemplating whether or not I had put enough scent on my handkerchief for this undertaking when we came to an abrupt halt and rocked back against an especially large rut. For a brief moment, I thought we had hit one of the daredevils cavorting in our path, but Nathanael nodded and reached for the door latch.
“Here we are,” he announced, getting out and looking around him. “Josie,” he pitched his voice lower, “stay close to me.”


The door was opened by a grim looking woman in an old-fashioned calling cap. The severity of her expression was not in keeping with the sunbeam ruffles that framed her face and the whole effect came off rather like a corpse at a wedding.
“May I help you?” Her tone did not signify that she would in any way be gratified to offer us assistance, but rather a resigned acceptance of the fact that we would not be gotten rid of unless she did.
“Yes, thank you.” Paul, who had accompanied us in the stead of Mr. Morrell – Nathanael believing that he would be more help after witnessing his father’s display of his brand of assistance – spoke first. “We would like to see the manager of this establishment, if you would be so kind as to announce us.”
“He’s in his office,” the crypt spoke, as if we ought to have known and should be ashamed of ourselves for needing to ask.
Paul smiled smoothly – the sort he wore when he was about to deliver the final blow to his opponent’s case. “Then would you be so kind as to show us the way?”
Her mouth turned down dourly.
“Might I ask the nature of your business? Mr. Larrimore hasn’t the time for social calls.”
I caught Nathanael’s eye and saw his conspiratorial smile.
“This isn’t,” Paul responded. “And if you wouldn’t mind, I believe our business will keep until we see him.”
I didn’t think it possible for her mouth to tighten any further, but she defied my disbelief and managed it without any apparent discomfort.
“Come this way.”
She turned and Nathanael caught the door before it closed in our faces. My hopes that Bethnal Green was run in keeping with the admonishment on the plaque beneath its name did not enter the building with me as I followed Paul inside.
Once inside, I realized that perhaps the woman had not come by her dourness naturally. As I took in the sagging floors and peeling walls and discolored ceilings I could see how a certain stiffening of the soul might be expected. It was cold too. The sharpness of the air bit into my skin, cutting through the layers with ease.
“Charming, isn’t it?” Nathanael whispered in my ear as he caught up.
“I don’t see how he could become too attached,” I whispered back. “The garden shed at Gilchrest seems more welcoming.”
“And your aunt and cousins better company,” he grinned, nodding surreptitiously at the ramrod back of our guide.
Paul turned his head and gave us a reproving look, but his eyes didn’t scold. I was afraid if I didn’t joke and tease I would burst apart with suppressed anxiety. 

I promise that this is all my original work and, even though you can't copy it, you enjoyed it. :D

And now I must take my leave until next week. I promise I will post again next week.

Tood-a-loo!

 photo libs_zpsb7e0579b.png

5 comments:

  1. Your characters sound interesting, and I like the setting, is it somewhat Victorian times?

    Titles are always hard to think of, aren't they? Sometimes I can figure one out fairly quickly, other times I wrack my brain and can't think of anything good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! This is the third time I've rewritten their story, so they've had lots of experience ;) Yes, the date has jumped around a lot, but I think it's now 1877.
      Ugh, yes they are! I completely agree with you - though most of the titles I've come up with fairly quickly are also fairly lame. :-/

      Delete
  2. Ooh so interesting hopefully you'll post what happens next:) I noticed you didn't rate preparing to be his helpmeet a very high rating. The pearls are some of my mom's favorite authors and I was just curious as to why you rated it so low:) oh and a really good book that you should read/rate is I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris -if you want to:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed Preparing to be a Helpmeet and I found a lot of the advice to be sensible and sound, but I guess I was put off by the overall tone of the book (which could be unintentional on Debi Pearl's part) where she seems to underly every statement with an obligation to do things this one way and if you miss a step or aren't properly prepared or don't do things just right, you'll screw up your marriage and pretty much your future. I felt that the fact that Jesus forgives and restores and works through our mistakes wasn't clearly presented and so the book had a bit of a preachy and condemning feel. I'm not throwing the baby out with the bathwater, though. If taken with a grain of salt, I would still recommend it for the good advice and wise counsel it contains. :)

      Delete
  3. Yeah that makes sense. They have a lot of good advice but sometimes you have to take the good do the best you can and leave the rest to God :)

    ReplyDelete