Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15


 photo about_zps0e27a4da.jpg
 photo bookshelf_zpse9642860.jpg photo scribbles_zps2889a376.jpg

Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Moonstone

Second book of the summer - finished!
I thought this one would never end. It was good, but lo-o-o-ng.
Mr. Collins, being an intimate friend of Charles Dickens (a fact of which I was informed in the forward that I wasn't supposed to read until I finished the book), must have had some of Dickens' irrepressible humor rubbed off on him. Because of that, I found the book enjoyable to read, despite its length.
My favorite characters were Ezra Jennings, Mr. Candy and Gabriel Betteredge. I'm afraid Rachel pulled out of her annoying slump and was redeemed a bit too late for me. I didn't much care for her. I was rather fond of Godfrey, but had a premonition about him that was a trifle disconcerting. Miss Clack, I suppose, should join my list of favorites as well - if only for her unwavering loyalty to her Christian duty and amusing tract-titles.
I'm going to splurge on some light reading now, having just gotten a list from my sisters of three books I have to read to keep up my end of our three-way bargain. Thankfully, another Wilkie Collins book did not make it to their list. A year-long break from his complex plots sounds very refreshing right now...

'Till next time,
-- Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment