Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15


 photo about_zps0e27a4da.jpg
 photo bookshelf_zpse9642860.jpg photo scribbles_zps2889a376.jpg

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Music {No. 2}



Thinking back, I haven't done a post about music lately. I have no idea if you guys are the type of blog-readers (like me) who see a bunch of links to other blogger's favorite songs and just say "I don't have the time" or if you are the kind who say "Oooh! Recommended music! My library could use some new additions!"

In case some or any of you are the latter group, be glad and rejoice (on the off chance that you haven't already heard these songs a gazillion times already...) - I bring new tidings of great cds!

First of all, as I mentioned many moons (or months, if you're not from a moon-counting species of the human race) ago, Audrey Assad - one of my favorite album artists - released a new cd in Feburary. Heart. And it is worth every shiny (and tarnished) penny I paid for it. In fact, I like it even better than her first album The House You're Building (which also happens to be worth every penny...) She has a very distinct and different style of song-writing and singing. Her rhythms and vocal riffs are really neat and her lyrics are poetic. Sometimes you have to think about them for a while before you understand what she's getting at. 

My favorite songs from Heart are:
- Blessed Are the Ones (which I hear tell is inspired by C.S. Lewis)
- Sparrow (A spin-off of the hymn His Eye Is On the Sparrow)

Of course, I love the other six songs on the album, but it takes too long to link them all up to include anything but my top, top favorites. 


Now, I have also recently introduces myself (via Spotify - which is amazing!) to Laura Story, whose albums - Blessings and Great God Who Saves - I am currently addicted to in a wholesome and non-habit forming way. Her lyrics are very solidly Scripture-based (at times it sounds as if she's just singing verses from the Bible), thought-provoking, and worshipful. She has a clear and straightforward singing style - which reminds me of a mixture of Kristyn Getty and Meredith Andrews. A complete win on both sides.  =D


My favorites from Blessings include:


And from Great God Who Saves:

- Bless The Lord (Probably my absolute favorite of all the songs she sings)
- Immortal, Invisible (not the hymn we're all used to, just so you know)
- Grace (This one is really, really sweet and contemplative)
Hmm, that's almost the entire album...Shows you how good it is, I guess! =D

Hopefully you'll listen to at least a few of these and perhaps discover a new artist to add to your collection! 

Till next time!



11 comments:

  1. When I'm reading a blog with music I just turn it off...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here - usually because I'm already listening to something. =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, our musical tastes are even closer than I realized! I love all three of those albums and every single one of those songs. Have you downloaded the iTunes bonus track for "Heart" yet? It's called "The Other Side" and it's hauntingly lovely, particularly if you know the story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You listened to Laura Story and didn't tell me?! No, I didn't know it existed - but I'll get it asap! Any other artists you've been holding out on me? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did tell you! Months ago, when I first bought one of her CDs, I mentioned it at a sleepover. But at the time I wasn't very enthusiastic because I was expecting the whole album to be like the song "Blessings". It grew on me, though!

    As for other artists...nothing to compare with Audrey Assad, I'm afraid! But here are a few I've been enjoying recently.

    Although I'm not a big Point of Grace fan, I do love the album "How You Live." Especially You Are Good and Heal the Wound

    Also, I've recently discovered an indie artist named Christa Wells, who (slightly) reminds me of Audrey Assad. My favorite songs are How Emptiness Sings A Thousand Things and Everything Moves But You

    Hope you find something here you like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would you do a book review on Hide in Plain Sight? It's a christian romantic novel (as I think anybody would put it).
    Thanks,
    Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maribeth ~ I..do not remember that at all. But I would say emphatically that Great God Who Saves is better than Blessings - though they've both grown on me very well!
    I'll have to look at the Point Of Grace songs. I had one cd and hated it.
    Oh good! I'll see what she does. You never know with your recommendations!

    Madeline ~ I certainly can review it! It might be a while though, because I have to get it from the library, read it and then write a review, but I'll get going on it as soon as possible. Thanks for asking!
    P.S. Is it a book you've already read or are interested in reading?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and who's the author? I just looked it up and there are several books with that title... =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Regarding Laura Story...I like the album "Great God Who Saves" best as well. What I meant was, having heard only the song "Blessings" on the radio, I was expecting all of her music to be the same low-key, piano-accompaniment type music and so it took me a bit to adjust to the upbeat drums. :)

    As for Point of Grace...that's the ONLY album of theirs I like. And even that one has a few songs that I always skip ("Fearless Heart" and "He Believes in You").

    Not sure if I should take "You never know with your recommendations" as a compliment or an insult! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a book I've read. The author is.... Marta Perry!
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maribeth ~ It's actually neither. It just seems like our recommendations
    to each other tend to stay in the hit-or-miss category. :D
    Madeline ~ Thanks! I'll go search it out!

    ReplyDelete