Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15


 photo about_zps0e27a4da.jpg
 photo bookshelf_zpse9642860.jpg photo scribbles_zps2889a376.jpg

Monday, June 17, 2013

The Darkness After Dawn


Ironic that my non-recognized blog hiatus should unintentionally end exactly a month after my last post.

I shall contemplate that as I go...

It happened again this morning. I have a no-snooze rule with my alarm clock and I've never used the button. Instead, I allow myself to doze for five or ten minutes and my body keeps track.

Today I gave myself five extra minutes and spent them worrying.

Worrying about something so irrational and illogical I can almost see Jesus shaking His head in bemused wonderment and the devil sitting in disbelief that I am actually falling for this.

I could feel that all-familiar panic rise. The 'what ifs' and 'how wills' that always accompany my fears. I've got to have a plan for follow-through in case these three scenarios actually do come true at the exact same time with the exact same devastating results so that I will know how to deal with them.

I can't let go of these fears until I have a foolproof plan with which I can stare them down.

Never mind about "all things work together for good" or "I know the plans I have for you" or "that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion". What good are those promises in the face of my all-consuming, life-or-death worries about a future that I know nothing about?

This is serious stuff.

And yet...

When I worry, I fail to take into consideration the goodness of my God.

When I worry, it's always black as black can be. Worst case scenarios. Death, poverty, famine, drought and pestilence. The whole nine yards and more.
In the blink of an eye, my future can become a horrific thing. And I panic because I can't handle this. I can't plan around it. I can't fix or control it. It's out to get me and I can't stop it.

And I feed it. Envisioning horror upon horror and compounding my fears until they're so lifelike that I convince myself they're real. This is what I'm headed for.

Never once before had it occurred to me to say "Hey! What about God's goodness? Why is that never in the future? Why is it only black and awful and full of unsolvable problems (a lot like geometry, but without the book)?"

When my consideration of His goodness is so fragile that I can be easily taken in by the most irrational fears, it's time to do some serious praying and soul-searching.

The promises are there - and they're very real - but if we don't consider them true, then they're only words on a page and empty of power.

 Worry leaves when we understand the reality of the goodness of God.

And that it is not solely reserved to our pasts.

Till next time!
Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. "Be anxious in nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Jesus Christ."
    Philippians 4:6-7

    -Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    I just found your blog this morning, and its really nice! We share a lot of favorite authors in common, and its been fun reading your book reviews. My sister and I have a blog (cleverbunnies.blogspot.com) where we share what things we do, and one of them is writing, though only I have short stories posted, my sister is working on some lengthy novels with complicated plot twists that are a little harder to post. :)
    Your post was a great reminder, and made me think of this verse:

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I absolutely love your blog!!!!!! You remind me a lot of myself. Some things we have in common are we both like long denim skirts, we both want to be published authors, we both love sarcasm, we both are homeschooled, and I also have many siblings - I have 9 younger siblings :D I have almost all of the books on your bookshelf. I liked your book reviews :) You should read Peretti's darkness novels if you haven't already. I also love his Cooper kid series and Tilly. I also make our own laundry soap. But I use fels-naptha soap instead of the regular bar soap. It works much better. You should publish your blog posts into a book! Keturah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following! You're right; we could be twins (of course then there would be 19 siblings to deal with...) You know, everyone tells me that I should read them, so I'm beginning to think I should...Perhaps I will - when by to-read list shrinks a bit. :)
      - Elizabeth

      Delete
  4. Oh and I noticed you like AG. So do I. I have got almost all of the books from thriftstores. But I have never bought anything from the company because I've heard that they support abortion and I am way against that. Keturah :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my grandparents gave me my first doll when I was 10 and they loved to get me the clothes and accessories. They make beautiful things. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh I also keep a diary. I have since I was nine. Since I was 11 I have skipped writing in it every day only twice:) I have gone through like twenty journals. Keturah

    ReplyDelete