Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15


 photo about_zps0e27a4da.jpg
 photo bookshelf_zpse9642860.jpg photo scribbles_zps2889a376.jpg

Friday, May 17, 2013

Surely

{from}

God is good, they said, all the time. All the time, they said, God is good.

It was a chant I learned in the teen girls' group at a family conference. The leaders would shout out the first part and whoever was paying attention at the time would shout back the second half. Then, in the hopes that everyone was by now aware that the next session was starting, they would shout "All the time!" and we were supposed to respond "God is good!"

Which we did. Loud and clear. How else would they know that we'd stopped whispering to our friends for at least five seconds?

There's something about catchy, one-liners. They stick with you through thick and thin and often don't mean much - or at least they don't until they're taken out of context.

As an attention-grabber, this was Scriptural, easy to remember and sounded good if someone is passing by the open window.

It never really sank in at all at the time. Of all the things I learned over those four or five days, it was not "God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good."

In fact, I'm only just learning it now.

I was recently chatting with a friend on the phone and she recited a quote for me that she said she'd never forgotten.

Anything we receive from God that is not damnation is grace

To be honest, the thought had never occurred to me. That anything, anything - sickness, disaster, heartbreak, loss - whatever I think is so bad that I blame God for allowing it to happen, as long as it is not what I absolutely deserve - separation from Him forever - it is His grace. His goodness. His love.

He didn't have to give me health.

But He did.

He didn't have to put three good jobs in my lap.

But He did.

He didn't have to give me my family, friends or wonderful life.

But He did.

He didn't have to give me a headful of stories to love.

But He did.

He had no obligation to call me His child.

But He does.


When I look at the many times I've reproached Him for the things He's done; the times I've complained about my "tough life"; the times I've not even thought to stop and take a second to thank Him for anything - I am ashamed.

He has not pushed me away. Instead, He has sent His goodness to pursue me and His mercy to follow me all the days of my life, until I dwell with Him in His house forever.

God is good, all the time.
All the time, God is good!


Until next time!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment