Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15


 photo about_zps0e27a4da.jpg
 photo bookshelf_zpse9642860.jpg photo scribbles_zps2889a376.jpg

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Prayer Princess

Lately I've been struggling a lot with the topic of prayer. Partly because I'm memorizing Matthew 6 and partly because it's never really been something I understood.

You see, I'm a horrid prayer warrior.

Horrid.

If my friends want me to come to their defense with saber drawn (despite that fact that I don't have a saber nor any idea how to use one) I would enthusiastically chop away at the enemy.

If they wanted to spill their problems into my discreet and sympathetic (though my sympathy usually depends on the sincerity of the person) ear, I would be ready with advice, Scripture and comforting words.

Or even if they wanted me to come over and help them clean their furnace, I would seriously consider going over.

But when they simply ask for prayer, it comes like heavy weight.

When I say I'll pray for them, it actually means that I will. But I don't go at it with any sort of spiritual enthusiasm. (Sorry if I'm shocking you dear ladies who have asked me for prayer in the past; I really did pray for you!) I mutter quick requests whenever the matter pops to mind and then promptly forget to pray, really pray, for them.

I try to mean my prayers. I try to make them sound good. And sincere. And holy. But inside, I know it's all just a show. I'm just racing through them and giving more thought to the words that are coming out of my mouth than the actual person (or people, as the case may be) behind them.

It's a miserable fault. Especially since prayer is our closest connection to God and the answer to most of our problems. Jesus died for the joy of communion with us, yet I grudge the minutes that I must spend with Him every day, praying for people who are sick, or unsaved, or just in need of help and wisdom.

I'm always watching the clock and rushing and thinking of the things I need to do when I'm finished that I fail to realize that what I'm doing at that very moment is the most important thing in the world.

The prayer of a righteous man, as James put it, is powerful and effective. (James 5:16b) And since we are made righteous through salvation, our prayers are powerful and effective.

So why do I always feel as if prayer is the last resort? The weapon that can be used when everything else has failed? My attitude about prayer is like a soldier who has lost every weapon but his tiny dagger and, without any other hope, starts cutting away at the enemy with the weakest of his weapons.

I guess I forget that there are many ways to use a dagger and that often they're hidden from view and lethal when pulled out.

God promises that my prayers have effect, but still I chafe at the chore of going through my list and praying for the same people and the same problems every day. I figure that God knows these things and is as apathetic about them as I am.

But here are some things I've learned about prayer:
- It's powerful and effective (James 5:16b)
- They must be offered in faith (James 5:15)
- They are to be done in secret (Matthew 6:6)
- They are to be simple (don't babble like pagans :D) - (Matthew 6:7)
- God knows what you need before you ask Him, but that does not mean that you don't need to ask! - (Matthew 6:8)
- The Holy Spirit intercedes for us when we don't know what to pray for (Romans 8:26)
- We are to pray continually - (1 Thessalonians 5:17)
- We are to pray about everything - (Philippians 4:6)

It's a daunting list and it looks pretty powerful and it's what God's been challenging me to change in my life, lately.

But I hear so many conflicting issues, and there are so many people that need prayer and I get so frustrated because it seems as if I could pray all day and still not cover everything.

If God can find pleasure in listening to me pray - and in sitting with me while I pray - then why do I find only frustration in what I think of as a task?

I don't actually have an answer to my question (other than pat ones that would end this post on a cliche note), but here are a few things I've learned that I need to utilize when I pray.

1. Praise: Giving thanks to God for the gifts He's given, the prayers He's answered, the blessings He showers me with every day...
2. Confession: In the midst of prayer I constantly forget to confess my sins and ask for forgiveness. I usually figure that I'm already forgiven, so praying for others is more important. But God wants to hear humble, heartfelt confessions.
3. Keeping things simple: Don't go on and on about a single request. A short, simple, and most importantly heartfelt request is as powerful as a long eulogy.
4. Trust: Believe, really believe, that God wants to hear you and pray to Him keeping that in mind. If you get in the rut of thinking that God is disinterested, then you will soon become disinterested too.
5. Focus: the quiet thing is really important. If you can't keep your mind on your prayer because of distractions, it's not going to be much of a prayer. Find a quiet place and if your mind wanders (like mine always does) catch yourself, regain your focus and go on. Do not use the distractions as an excuse to give up and say "it's just not working today!". Remember that Satan sends distractions because he doesn't want you to pray. He knows, at least, how powerful it is.
6. Keep a list: write down who and what you want to pray for and specifics if you want to remember them, but don't allow yourself to drone away on the list without utilizing your mind. Lists can be dangerous that way.
7. Commit: your prayer time to God and ask Him to help keep you focused and to really think and care about who you're praying for. He's willing to help if you ask and really mean it.

It's difficult, I know (believe me, I know) to fit prayer time into busy schedules, but remember that it's also communion with God and though it seems like a drag at times, your prayers are always powerful and effective.
Prayer is the key to a strong relationship with your Prince, and that relationship is the most important thing in the world. More important than any of the other things you rush through your prayer to get to. Take the time to slow down and rest in your Heavenly Father's arms.

Just talk to Him, because it's the key to everything good.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up - Galatians 6:9

'Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment