Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15


 photo about_zps0e27a4da.jpg
 photo bookshelf_zpse9642860.jpg photo scribbles_zps2889a376.jpg

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

A Summer of Classics

I, nobly and resolutely, have decided that instead of "wasting" my summer reading time reading the books I normally read, I will instead nurture my mind with classics. Dickens, Austen, Collins, Shakespeare, Doyle, and the like. I shall immerse myself in the overload of description, the hallowed run-on sentences, the drama, the mystery, the suspense, the humor. Oh yes, the humor.
Seriously, though. I'm going to do it -- this time. Of course, I probably won't subsist wholly on them (I mean, one must have a light, quick read once in a while, mustn't one?) but I intend to make it as far through my list as possible and come out of the next three and a half months a better and more educated person (and a person able to proudly say, "Yes, I have read that book, and you?"). Anyway, this is my list thus far: 
- Our Mutual Friend
- Oliver Twist 
- Pride and Prejudice (don't choke on your tea, ladies. I have read this one before.)
- The Moonstone
- Emma or Persuasion (I haven't decided yet between the two, so I am willing to take votes of advocacy)
- The Hound of the Baskervilles
- Hamlet

It doesn't look like much, but keep in mind that this is a girl who usually avoids classics like the seven plagues (whatever they are) and these are all rather long books in and of themselves. Also, I might be keeping last summer's resolution of reading the Lord of the Rings series, and I have made a tentative promise to myself that I will finish writing and revising one of my novels this summer, so we'll see how much of this actually gets done.

'Till next time, 
Jamie  
      

5 comments:

  1. I almost fell off my chair!

    ...ok, not really. :)

    I admire your noble aspirations, and will be cheering you on all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief! I'm not that bad... Well, maybe I am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as classics go, yes you are...

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent list, my dear! Particularly the Dickens and Austen...and LOTR of course. It's about time you read that!

    So you're reading "The Moonstone"? Have you already read "The Woman in White"? They're both good, but WIW is better.

    And as for Austen..."Persuasion" is my favorite Austen book (it even beats P&P for me!) but I think you might like "Emma" better as I've always considered her to be your type of heroine. That's probably not very helpful, is it? Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, beginning with the support already, I see...
    No, I haven't read WIW. Becky said that I would love "The Moonstone", so I put it down.
    Lol, no, it's not. I'm still at sea.

    ReplyDelete