Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth. - II Timothy 2:15


 photo about_zps0e27a4da.jpg
 photo bookshelf_zpse9642860.jpg photo scribbles_zps2889a376.jpg

Thursday, February 2, 2012

Book Review: Flight Into Spring


I've been wanting to read this book forever and ever since I saw it on the Bethlehem Books website because I've adored every single sweet, wholesome book from their site that I've read. (No, I shan't list favorites; they're all listed on the Tried and True Bookshelf page) So when I received this from a friend for Christmas, my joy knew no bounds.

Literally.

My first impression was that it reminded me incredibly of another favorite Bethlehem book: They Loved To Laugh by Kathryn Worth and Brooklyn Rose by Ann Rinaldi. If you've ever read either of these and then read this book, you'll probably agree.

Anyhoo, we might as well get on with the review since that's what you were reading this for in the first place.

Summary:
Opposites: Sally Day Hammond is vivacious, tiny, coddled and Southern; Charles Horne is silent, tall, unbending and Northern. The American Civil War has just ended. And a marriage is to be made between these two? When Charles brings Sally Day back to live with his strict New England family, little wonder that tensions rise to the breaking point. But Sally Day has mettle and Charles has determination; in the desperate honesty of this young couple’s conflict, both young hearts may yet stretch and truly meld. (Back-cover synopsis)


Plot: This book doesn't exactly have much of a plot, per say. When I think plot, I think mystery, intrigue and suspense - something that drives a book along. This book is a story. It doesn't have any real resolution. It simply tells the story of a young married couple. 
I know that probably sounds incredibly boring, but it's not. There is tension, romance (of the good, sweet, innocent kind), and good characters; it's just not Agatha Christie or Dee Henderson.

I started this book rather late one night and kept telling myself "after this chapter, I'll put it down and go to bed". I'm sure you all relate with that decision - and know how it generally turns out. 
I'd reach the end of the chapter and there would be something in it that would make me just have to read the next one. 
So I would.
I eventually did put it down when I was about halfway through and then yesterday night I finished it off in one gulp. 

I suppose the ending could be called cliche, but then who really cares about that stuff? If it works, it works and that's all I'm going to say.

Characters
Sally Day Horne nee Hammond: I liked her. She definitely lived up to her back-cover claim. It was fun to see how she adapted to different situations (esp. the ones where she's dealing with her tyrant of a father-in-law) and I admired her spunk and determination. She was definitely no doormat.

Charles Horne: Since the book was largely about Sally Day (and since it's actually pretty short) you never really get to know Charles very well. He's exactly how they portray him in the blurb, though. You have sort of a half-grudging admiration for him, even though you wonder what on earth he was thinking marrying Sally Day. 

Ezra and Elizabeth Horne: You can't really take these characters separately, since the one is so much like the other. It's a love/hate relationship with these two pretty much all the way through the book.

Likes:
The fact that I can just curl up with this book and enjoy it. It's not nerve-wracking or anything, so you can just slowly enjoy it until the end. Sometimes, I just really love to read a book that meanders.

Sally Day's vivaciousness. She reminded me a lot of myself - except that I'm not 5 feet tall and I will never (emphasis on the never) have a fifteen inch waist. 

How the give-and-take, submission, and other forgotten aspects of marriage are portrayed. "It's not always easy, but you can't give up" is one of the main messages of this book.

The wholesomeness of the story. Nothing to avoid; nothing to hide. Hallelujah!

Dislikes
The one brief moment where it is mentioned that hell doesn't really exist. It's argued by two sides, but still the idea lingers that someone in the story believes it.

It takes this book a little while to get off the ground, but it's worth the getting through. :)

Conclusion
Flight Into Spring was not exactly what I had expected it to be, but I enjoyed it nonetheless (is it just me or do I sound like a broken record?). I would willingly let my younger sisters read it without worrying that they would run across some age-inappropriate scene (though some aspects of the marriage may be slightly over their heads anyway). 
If you can find this book anywhere (I've discovered that Bethlehem books are generally rather difficult to track down at libraries...) I would definitely recommend giving it a try!

'Till next time,


P.S. Jamie's The Redemption Ring has almost reached its conclusion. Don't forget to check Scribbles for the latest updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment